A woman in England learned the hard way that it’s not safe to treat a foot fungus infection by covering it with slices of raw garlic, according to a new report of the woman’s case.
Instead of treating her athlete’s foot, the garlic severely burned and blistered the woman’s skin, ultimately landing her in a doctor’s office, the case report said. (Athlete’s foot is a skin infection caused by fungus.)
It’s not uncommon for people to turn to home remedies for medical treatment. Given that people have used garlic (Allium sativum) as a health treatment for thousands of years, it’s no wonder the 45-year-old woman decided to use raw garlic to try treating her fungal infection, which was affecting the nail on her left big toe and the skin around it, said case report senior author Dr. Kai Wong, a plastic surgeon at Oxford University Hospitals National Health Service Foundation Trust.
Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.